Sunday, March 22, 2009

Bubblegum Girl... the next generation of fair acts.

I remember the first time I got up in front of a group of people to give a presentation. I was in sixth grade English. Each of us had to prepare a short speech on how to do something. During my presentation, something struck me as funny and I quickly incorporated it, pretty much without thought, into the talk. The class fell apart. I felt like a million, trillion bucks and knew, right at that moment, that to make people laugh would just be the greatest job in the world. I remember it like it was yesterday. That was probably THE moment that set me firmly on my path, such as it is. That feeling I get today; when something perfect and spontanious and hilarious happens in the show and everyone errupts in laughter... it is the same feeling.

I wonder If I have ever been witness to someone's "moment".

Last Halloween eve, Gil and I took two of our camels to a trick-or-treat house in Los Angeles to be part of their elaborate Egyptian Mummy theme decor.... just for trick-or-treaters man!?
It was wild. It was a normal, two story house in a fairly normal, middle-class neighborhood but this guy was WAY INTO HALLOWEEN.

There were costumes of every shape and size; from home made to expensive, elaborate rentals. Everyone dressed up. Hands down the best costume had to be this nine year old girl . I first caught her out of the corner of my eye and had to take a double take. She was dressed all in dressed all in pink: pink hoodie, pink sweats, pink slippers.... She made a big, globby hat out of spray foam insulation and painted it pink too. Then she stuck a tennis shoe in the glob.

I don't know what caught my eye more; the strange get-up or the gleam in her eye, huge grin flashing left to right. I had seen that look before. I had worn that look before. It was the look of pure enjoyment as she showcased her unique genius. As goblins, ghost busters, Gumbys and Grouchos filed passed the camels to pet them and say hello, she waited her turn, shoe perched precariously atop her pink goo glob headpiece.

When she got close enough to meet the camel, I smiled admirably at the girl. I leaned over and asked, "You are dressed as the gum under someones shoe; aren't you?" Her smile and nod burst over onto the entire crowd.

How completely amazing is that?? Nine years old and what a great sense of humor! She thought of it herself and was really proud of it. As she walked on to go meet the mummies I looked after her and thought, I wonder when we're going to see her on the fair circuit?!

No comments:

Post a Comment